I find that “just print it” includes a lot of prep work for complex models. We’re not quite at the turn-key point yet.
I spent hours yesterday pruning vertices on the latest and greatest. It should be ready to show in a couple of days.
The art doesn’t look much different, but now the robots are being auto-rendered on a per-comic basis. This means I can change head positions or rotate the bodies a little on the fly to add some variation between panels.
It’s a bit of a step backwards in some ways, but in the long run it’ll make the comic more expressive.
Here’s what it looks like inside Maya. The speech bubbles are moved at render time to fit text of variable length.
And here are a few more comics so you can see the range of variability in the characters’ poses. The trick is to introduce randomness without making the poses too ridiculous.
Version 1.1.1 thickens the speech lines. I’m working on some behind-the-scenes art improvements now– they should be ready in a few days.
The Thingiverse page that generated c1’s text was this Nut Cover by Gyrobot.