I get teh feels that 3D printing at home has advanced to the point where we’re experiencing the same birthing pangs that desktop publishing did in the early 90’s.
This too, shall pass. Unfortunately, we’ll soon enter the period where ease of use means that Aunt Mary designs and prints you a coffee cup with your siblings’ headscans bulging out of it like Dead Space necromorphs.
Actually, I’d kind of like one of those.
I’m moving the comic to Sunday-only for two reasons. One, I feel like I’m spamming myself by posting comics three times a week.
Two, the vast majority of comics generated by the script just aren’t funny. My code generates one comic every ten minutes, so over the course of a week that should be over 1000 comics to choose from. One of those has to be amusing. But three?
Anyway, hipsters are always a good punching bag, even if they’re a bit past their humor sell-by date in 2013.
The grody code at the beginning of Character 1’s speech balloon shows that my HTML filter isn’t quite catching everything the new Thingiverse throws out there, so I’ll do a little tweaking this week and take care of that.
I find that “just print it” includes a lot of prep work for complex models. We’re not quite at the turn-key point yet.
I spent hours yesterday pruning vertices on the latest and greatest. It should be ready to show in a couple of days.
Occasionally Thingiverse comes up blank. There’s comedy value there, I just have to figure out how to make it work semi-procedurally.
There’s some weirdness going on with speech lines, in particular at C2’s origin point. See that little burr? It’s bugging me tremendously. i am rage
The art doesn’t look much different, but now the robots are being auto-rendered on a per-comic basis. This means I can change head positions or rotate the bodies a little on the fly to add some variation between panels.
It’s a bit of a step backwards in some ways, but in the long run it’ll make the comic more expressive.
Here’s what it looks like inside Maya. The speech bubbles are moved at render time to fit text of variable length.
And here are a few more comics so you can see the range of variability in the characters’ poses. The trick is to introduce randomness without making the poses too ridiculous.
Version 1.1.1 thickens the speech lines. I’m working on some behind-the-scenes art improvements now– they should be ready in a few days.
The Thingiverse page that generated c1’s text was this Nut Cover by Gyrobot.
Clearly I’m going to need to do some margin-checking on the speech balloons, because otherwise this would be a well-composed panel.