Faire Play backer rewards are all I’m thinking about these days. The Athena Makeover Kits are done and should be winging their way towards my midrange backers shortly, and now I’m printing a suit of field plate armor for one of my top backers. My printer is working on a lovely pair of sabatons in the background as I type this.
Nothing’s ever completely straightforward at this level of 3D printing, and of course now I’ve got a strange little gremlin that didn’t surface the last time I printed a cuirass: I’m getting a small line up the side of the print where my printer’s print head stops, lifts, and begins a new layer. Take a look at the cuirass on the left.
I’m doing my best to make this suit as nice as possible and I’m aesthetically offended by artifacts of the printing process like this one.
What’s wrong here? The geometry hasn’t changed since the first print, the filament’s exactly the same, and as far as I know I’m using the same slicing algorithm. I have replaced a worn-out print nozzle, but I can’t imagine that’d be the source of the issue. I’ve changed every setting I can think of and I’m still getting this weird little printing track.
Truth be told, it’s a fairly minor aesthetic problem in the grand scheme of things and now that I look at the original armor I do see some traces of this artifact there, too.
Even if it can’t be completely eliminated, it can at least be put on the back side where it’s less visible. The best way to do this is to just rotate the model 180° around the Z axis before printing. Easy peasy: take a gander at the cuirass on the right.